There are a lot of myths surrounding auto detailing: too much is bad, too little is bad, etc. The truth is, when you own a luxury or exotic vehicle, keeping the car clean goes beyond pride of ownership; it’s about protecting your investment.
Luxury vehicles have become a great investment opportunity over the last decade, out performing the stock market and sometimes seeing a return on investment of up to 500 percent. Luxury auto investments also routinely beat the returns seen on high-end art and wine collectibles by double.
So the real question becomes, how frequently should I get my luxury car detailed?
Auto detailing vs washing
To answer that, it’s important to understand the difference between auto detailing and washing. Washing your car removes excess dirt and grime that has built up and should be done frequently. Auto detailing, on the other hand, is designed to remove blemishes, oxidation and small scratches, all of which can be formed by excessive dirt build up.
Auto detailing is necessary to protect your luxury vehicle’s paint and clear coat. A good rule of thumb when determining if your luxury vehicle needs a wash or a full auto detailing is to run your hand gently over the surface of the car. If you feel any sort of roughness, an auto detailing may be required.
Here are five reasons you might consider a complete auto detailing:
- Paint health: Your vehicle’s paint job is the first thing people see. When minor blemishes appear, it’s time to get a detail.
- Improve visibility: Oxidation attacks headlamps, taillamps and other automotive lighting fixtures. An auto detailing is necessary for improved visibility and safety, especially at night.
- Interior odors: No matter how careful we are, we spill foods and beverages in our cars all the time. This is especially true with children. In order to remove these stains and odors, a detailing may be required.
- Road salt: If you live in an area that gets lots of snow, there’s no doubt you’ve had to deal with the build up of excess road salt. Without a proper detail, this buildup can cause real damage to your automobile.
- Tire health: The tires on our vehicles are one of the most important safety features. When they’re not well maintained, we put ourselves and others at risk. The occasion detail not only keeps them looking good but fights against cracking and possible failure.
When to get an auto detailing
Other common myths surrounding auto detailing have to do with when you should and shouldn’t get it done. For example, many people think you should get your car detailed in the winter because harsh weather and road conditions will undo all the hard work. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
In fact, winter auto detailing is recommended for that exact reason. Harsh weather can wreak havoc on a car’s paint. Detailing is a great way to protect your vehicle all year round.
So, how often do you need an auto detailing? Depending on your vehicle’s storage situation, how often you drive the vehicle, and its age, once or twice a year should be enough to maintain or even grow your luxury vehicle’s value.